DIY: Wizard Wand

It's very well know that I like things typically associated with being "nerdy." One of my favorite things to fan over is J.K Rowling's Harry Potter series. Today, I bring a craft to awaken the wizard in us all: Wands! Everyone knows a witch or wizard needs a wand to cast spells, so I have an easy, inexpensive, and wickedly fun craft for all those Potterheads out there.

What you'll need:
-Chopsticks
-Hot glue gun
-Beads (optional)
-Acrylic paint in assorted colors
-Sealer (Modge Podge works great)

I had some chopsticks laying around the house that I was saving for a good craft. You can usually get some free from Chinese restaurants or if you need more than a few pairs Oriental Trading has chopsticks at a reasonable price.


 Heat up your hot glue gun. Once it's heated, use the glue to create designs on your chopstick. I looked up pictures of wands from the Harry Potter movies for inspiration but I would suggest doing whatever you find appealing. You can even use beads for added details. After the glue cools down, smooth out the areas that need smoothing or leave it for a rougher, unfinished look.

When you're satisfied with your wand shape, add some color! I used acrylic paints that I had around the house. For a Deatheater style wand, I mixed up a dark purple and I painted another white with a tint of beige. I painted several coats on each wand. After it is completely dry, apply sealer to the wand so the paint won't easily scratch and let it dry.

 

Overall, I spent $0 on this project and it took about 8 hours (including drying time) to make several wands. These would be great for a Halloween costume or as a handmade gift to any aspiring witch or wizard! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to practice my spells and charms.

Popular posts from this blog

December 2020 Bullet Journal Spreads

Misadventures in Atlanta.

I'm a part of a record label!